My Movie Critics

26 August 2006

The Wind That Shakes The Barley (2006)

Click to enlarge the picture.This is a very dark film in two ways; the film is dark to view as this was a sign of the times it was set I guess. Also the nature of the story line and the plot if the film is a very dark subject.

Set in the 1920’s and seen in the worst times of the civil war in Ireland. Suppressed by the British, for what reason other than being different and speaking differently, I don’t know. I must say that this film makes me feel ashamed of my British ancestors. Not that I think any of my direct descendents (I would sincerely hope not anyway) had any direct link with what went on there, but just being British.

The story starts off innocently enough with the young lads playing a game, something like hockey. Then soon turns ugly as the British Soldiers follow the lads home and start to do what the British Soldiers of that time did best. Terrorise these young men for no other reason than because they could do it, and get away with it.

An innocent game soon turned into a murder scene and the start of the fight back was being planned.
This was the time of the forming of the IRA (Irish Republican Army) and the subsequently the civil war that followed.

The acting was suburb Cillian Murphy as Damien and his brother Teddy played by Padraic Delaney was well cast in their roles. Both quietly spoken with a haunting quality about them. Other cast members also doing outstanding work in their roles.

The worst thing about this movie is that most of the things depicted in it could well have happened, and I am sure did happen to real people of that time. This was the start of a very dark time in history and we all need to be reminded of this sometimes so that we can make sure that these times never happen again.

Although the film was a little depressing I feel it is worth while to have a look at for the scenery and the historical aspect of the film also.

by Narf

Tags : , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home