My Movie Critics

18 August 2006

Grease (1978)

Click to enlarge the picture.
How can a movie be popular for at least 3 generations ?
How can a movie tune can be catchy for at least 30 years ?
How can a summer love story be that colorful ?

Well, I should say that i'm still asking these questions to myself from time to time but my answers differ each time surprisingly. Here are the basic reasons for me which leads this movie to a worldwide success :

* The energetic & creative performance of the cast
* The great songs such as "Summer Nights" , "You're The One That I Want" , "Hopelessly Devoted To You"
* Colorful scenes (especially those which were taken at an original high school gym or an amusement park )
* Nice transitions from stage play to a movie scenario and some smooth changes


Those are the major factors for me but are they enough to produce a movie which might get a huge success or is there an invisible factor ?
I guess some movies have a magical ingredient. It can be called as the unseen set atmosphere maybe which can't be noticed directly. I don't know which definition suits the best but Grease is definitely from those kind of movies.

Finally I wanted to start a personal quest. I was wondering who are still interested in this movie. About 2 years ago I decided to share my archive on the internet and built a web site. (http://www.greaseweb.com)

I should confess that I was not expecting much traffic but my personal website received great interest from the movie fans. According to my statistics, there are lots of people visiting the website today. It was too hard for me to classify the visitor profiles because they are browsing the website from Brazil to Japan. The age profile is also as wide as the locations. The website is being visited by people from 10 to 70 years old who are browsing the lyrics, pictures and etc. They are also commenting on the guestbook, voting for the polls and the most important thing, they are communicating with each other.

As a website owner and a Grease lover, it became a very interesting quest for me in the search for answers to my questions above. In my opinion this is a "must see at least once" movie to understand what I am trying to tell in this article.

As my conclusion, it is so very nice to see that Grease is still the word for lots of people from all over the world.

by Elvis_TR

Tags : , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home